Editorial: Escape! Wendy Nikel
Last month, my family went on our first real vacation since COVID, and from the record-breaking number of visitors pouring into the U.S. National Parks, we obviously weren’t the only ones ready for some sort of escape from the stresses and struggles of modern life. And what a relief it was to stand upon the cool, green forest floor and stare in awe at redwoods for whom the past year is only one thin growth ring among thousands! (If you have a chance to make it out west to Redwood National Park, I’d highly recommend it!)
This month’s flash stories feature much more dire struggles for escape, where the stakes are higher, the danger more immediate, and the yearning for that sense of relief even more acute.
Escape with us into a magical world in Anjali Patel’s “Ember” (Jul 2), where what you find at your journey’s end may be just as dangerous as that which you’re running from. Cheer on a clever and mischievous pet as she seeks her freedom in Jennifer Hudak’s latest FFO story, “The Wizard’s Book Tastes of Flight” (Jul 9). Take a one-way trip out to the Deep Black in Adam Fout’s “Breathe” (Jul 16). And face down the inescapable in Marissa Lingen’s “This Will Not Happen to You” (Jul 23). With five Fridays in July, we’re also sharing with you a dive into our archives and an exclusive interview in another Flash Fiction Flashback on the theme of escape, featuring “Listen and You’ll Hear Us Speak” by A.T. Greenblatt (Jul 30).
At fewer than 1000 words each, it won’t take you long to immerse yourself in these brief, but awe-inspiring escapes!
- Special shout-out to our latest AURORA-level Patreon supporter, Terry P! Flash Fiction Online is funded entirely through the generosity and support of our readers! Check out our special Patreon benefits HERE!
- Congratulations to FFO alum John Wiswell on winning the Nebula award for Best Short Story for his story, “Open House on Haunted Hill,” which was published at Diabolical Plots.
- We’re still seeking stories of 500-1000 words for our special “ONE HUNDRED”-themed issue! Guidelines HERE.
- Love the stories we publish? Help us boost our Amazon presence by leaving a review! Check out all our 2021 issues HERE.
Become a 2022 Super Subscriber!
If you’re a fan of our bold, brief, and beautiful fiction, we hope you’ll consider purchasing a 2022 SUPER SUBSCRIPTION. You’ll get the satisfaction of knowing that you’re helping to publish amazing stories by talented writers… plus you’ll receive the following benefits (details listed below)
- 12 monthly issues (+ a vote in our first FFO Reader Awards!)
- bonus content from our authors
- live events on our Discord server
- one FFO annual anthology
- your choice of one ebook from an author or staff member
- entry to our $100 gift card giveaway
Support Flash Fiction Online
Flash Fiction Online is a free online magazine that pays professional rates. So how do we make that happen? It’s due to the generosity of readers like you.
Here are some ways you can help:
Sign up to become a monthly donor. Read more…
Subscribe to FFO.
Never miss an issue! E-reader formats delivered to your inbox. Available from WeightlessBooks.com
Buy our issues & anthologies.
Consider a one-time gift that fits your budget.
Advertise with us.
Have a product, service, or website our readers might enjoy? Ad space available on the website and in our e-reader issues. Sponsored posts opportunities are also available. Learn more…
Spread the word.
Love one of our stories or articles? Share it with a friend!