Flash Fiction Online has published stories from both new and established authors across the globe. We love narratives with crisp prose, well-developed characters with emotional arcs, fascinating plots, and satisfying resolutions. We want works that engage our minds and emotions and that leave us with a sense of awe or give us something to muse on. We’re always on the hunt for something new, surprising, clever, or beautiful.
Word count: 500-1000 words (firm)
Language: We only consider original works written in English. A translated version of a previously published story may be submitted as a reprint if you are the author or translator and have the rights to do so.
Genres: We publish across many genres, including science fiction, fantasy, slipstream, horror, and literary fiction.
We are NOT a market for non-fiction, memoir, poetry, fan fiction, screenplays, or erotica.
Things we LOVE
- Immersive settings that make us feel like we’ve stepped into another world
- Clever characters who keep us on our toes
- Bittersweet endings that linger in our minds
- Optimistic, hopeful stories (ie. hopepunk or solarpunk)
- Stories with strong emotional resonance
- Distinct narrative voice
Though we’ll occasionally publish an amazing story containing one or more of these elements, it will be a much harder sell, either because these elements are difficult to do well, or simply because we receive so many with similar concepts.
- Stories written as lists, newspaper articles, or encyclopedia entries
- Second person point of view
- Vignettes or character sketches
- Animal or inanimate object point of view
- Stories about current events, memes, or other trends that will quickly make the story feel dated
- Stories about cats
- Stories about writers
- Stories that take place in a bar or tavern
- Stories that are “preachy”
- Stories that end in murder or suicide
- Stories about spousal abuse or mariticide
- Stories involving child abuse or infanticide
- Excessive profanity
- Graphic violence
- Explicit sexual content
We will NOT consider stories that promote or normalize hatred, prejudice, or violence toward any group of people based on age, race, nationality, sex, gender, religion, political affiliation, disability, or neurodiversity.
We will NOT consider stories that promote or normalize rape, sexual assault, abuse, or stalking behaviors.
We are NOT a market for non-fiction, memoir, poetry, fan fiction, or erotica.
Due to copyright issues, we are unable to publish stories that contain song lyrics or other creators’ characters that are not in the public domain.