Editorial: Love All Ways Emma Munro
This month, Flash Fiction Online celebrates love. Our stories are all about characters making decisions in the name of love. Each situation is different, as are the responses of the characters making their decisions about familial love, platonic love, romantic love, and even magical love.
In “Fried Rice” by Shih-Li Kow (Available 2/4/2022), “Gently, Cook, I thought to myself. Gently does it.” Author Shih-Li Kow chose a subtle path to reveal how a family expressed their love for each other through food.
Jonathan Helland’s “Reading the Omens” (Available 2/11/2022) follows a devastated seer as he attempts to reconnect with the woman he loves when war separates them, possibly forever.
FFO alumnus Beth Goder offers a heartwarming story in “The Appliance Crisis.” (Available 2/18/2022)
And our reprint this month is “A Lumberjack’s Guide to Dryad Spotting” by Charlies Payseur. When love means persecution, then survival at any cost is the only solution. Or is it?
- Two FFO stories made the Quick Sips 2021 Recommended Reading List!
- AITA for Using My Side Hustle to Help My Boyfriend Escape the Clutches of Death? by Aimee Picchi
- A Sunrise Every 90 Minutes by Victoria Zelvin
- Three FFO stories are on Maria’s recommended reading list for 2021!
- A Girl Forages for Mushrooms by Ruth Joffre in Flash Fiction Online
- Litany in the Heart of Exorcism by Sarah Pauling in Flash Fiction Online
- The Dog Who Buried the Sea by Andy Oldfield in Flash Fiction Online
- Distant Fire of Winter Stars by Jonathan Louis Duckworth is on Maria’s My Sci-Fi, Fantasy & Horror Short Fiction Roundup for December 2021
- Eleven stories made the Tangent Online 2021 Recommended Reading List
- “Across from Her Dead Father in an Airport Bar” by Brian Trent
- “The Vanishing Bride” by William Paul Jones
- “Vixen” by Hannah Whiteoak
- “Sunflowers” by Maura Yzmore
- “The Ecology of the Engineered Oyster” by Andrew Kozma
- “Ember” by Anjali Patel
- “Breathe” by Adam Fout
- “The Songs Her Mother Used to Sing” by Aimee Ogden
- “Machine Love” by Joy Kennedy-O’Neill
- “Litany in the Heart of Exorcism” by Sarah Pauling
- “Like Feather, Like Bone by Kristi DeMeester
Editor-in-Chief; Flash Fiction Online
Become a Patron! Check our our NEW Patron rewards!
Support Flash Fiction Online
Flash Fiction Online is a free online magazine that pays professional rates. So how do we make that happen? It’s due to the generosity of readers like you.
Here are some ways you can help:
Sign up to become a monthly donor and gain access to exclusive Patron rewards like manuscript critiques, insider submission statistics, the Editors’ Wishlist, free downloads of our current issue, and Ask Me Anything chats with the FFO staff. Read more…
Subscribe to FFO.
Never miss an issue! E-reader formats delivered to your inbox. Available from WeightlessBooks.com
Buy our issues & anthologies.
Consider a one-time gift that fits your budget.
Advertise with us.
Have a product, service, or website our readers might enjoy? Ad space available on the website and in our e-reader issues. Sponsored posts opportunities are also available. Learn more…
Spread the word.
Love one of our stories or articles? Share it with a friend!